Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Well hello, stranger!

I regret that I haven’t written much over the past two years. I never wanted to stop writing, and actually I sat down to the computer to start an entry several times. My photo folder in drop box is full of pictures of food that I loved making, food that I shared with people I love, and that I meant to share with all of you! My journey in food has taken me from summer, to Korean food, to hearty soups, to Middle Eastern food, and back to summer. Quite the backlog of deliciousness. So let’s dish.

photo.JPG

Each summer, like millions that came before me, I feel obligated to celebrate the *Tomato* (cue angelic music, light shining down from the heavens). I don’t make too many dishes centered totally around tomatoes, mainly because my partner in crime, the Lamb King (LK) doesn’t like them much. They go unappreciated by his delicate palate. But I love the acidity, the juiciness, the color, the flavor, just about everything about the glorious Tomato. I love them raw, I love them cooked, I love them baked, I love them stuffed, I love them in a sauce, I love them. This summer, I did not shirk my obligations. And, I got some pretty little heirlooms in my farm box, to boot!

Enter: the Tomato Pie, savory, colorful, filling. Gorgeous.
photo.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPGphoto.JPG


I know I cheated. I didn’t roll out pastry dough. I didn’t use a tart pan. I even…well, some things a girl doesn’t tell. But it tasted good. It looked good. And even LK enjoyed a slice or two of my Tomato Pie.

Ingredients:
2 pie crusts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 lbs heirloom tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar and mozzarella, I think gruyere would be awesome)
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
handful of chopped fresh parsley
chopped thyme to taste
chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375. Thaw frozen pie crusts, and bake for about 15 minutes to partially bake it before filling.

Slice the heirloom tomatoes, lay on towels, and salt them for 15 minutes to draw out the moisture.

Caramelize onions in the olive oil (the real way, it takes way longer than everyone says). When they've cooled a bit, mix in a bowl with cheese, mayo, breadcrumbs, herbs, salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer on bottom of each pie crust. Layer with tomatoes. Spread another layer of mixture, followed by a top layer of the best looking tomatoes. Try to evenly divide all of it as much as possible as you go. Bake until tomatoes are cooked through, about 45 minutes. Then try to wait until it's cooled off enough before you dig in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment