Sunday, September 12, 2010

Asian tour

Lately I've been craving asian foods. Anything. Whether it's the familiar Korean home cooking, a spicy noodle soup, or a nice curry that warms the tummy, I have been devouring all kinds. And I couldn't be happier!!! Of course I've been eating kimchee with ALL of it!!!

It all started with a tiny green eggplant. I spotted them in a farmer's market in Delaware. Kermit eggplants, as they're apparently called, are a frequent ingredient in thai curries, so I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out thai curry is incredibly easy to make.

Gaeng Gai

Ingredients:
3 cups water
3-5 sprigs basil
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 lb eggplant
1/4 cup bamboo shoots
1 tbsp curry paste or 2 tbsp curry powder
1 cup coconut milk (can use low fat)
1 chicken breast, thin slices

Directions:
cook onions until soft, remove from pan. Add chicken to pan, until barely cooked. Add onions back in, half of coconut milk, and curry. Stir until everything is combined. Add in rest of coconut milk, water, fish sauce, eggplant, bamboo shoots. simmer until curry has desired thickness. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get. Add basil at the last minute, quickly stirring in to preserve color. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment