Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gimme gimme chimi chimi!

It was hotter than the face of the sun last weekend, but we grilled anyway. That's how dedicated my friend Dave and I are. Well, how dedicated he is, anyway, he's the one that stood over the flames. I guess he might as well get used to it (hee hee). I, on the other hand, waited until the one day this week when the temperature was below 80. It was beautiful out tonight, so I decided early in the day that I was going to be spending some time at the grill on my roof.

I like it when my food has a lot of bright flavors. To me that means lots of herbs, citrus, and spice. For some reason when thinking about what would be the perfect dinner for such a lovely break in the oppressive summer heat, my mind went to chimichurri sauce. I've never made a chimichurri sauce, so I stole a few minutes from work to look it up, and confirmed my suspicion that I would love it. What's not to love, really? A zesty sauce over some lemon-marinated grilled chicken along with some sweet corn sounded like just the ticket.

See full size image

After a quick bike ride home, a stop in the store, and some short prep time (involving a kitchen appliance, always a plus), I was ready to grill. And not a moment too soon, because after I put my chicken and corn on the grill, with a dollop of chimichurri sauce on top, neighbor after neighbor started pouring onto the roof. Blinking into the setting sun, we all caught up on neighborhood news, life updates, and of course, grill recipes. Once again, ah summer.

Grilled Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce

Chicken:
Marinate chicken for 15-30 minutes in 1 part olive oil, 1 part lemon juice and a tsp or two of garlic powder

Chimichurri Sauce:
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
3 tbsp capers
zest and juice of 1 lime
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
salt to taste

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor. I also added extra horseradish because I like it spicy. I made a lot to use some leftovers and freeze the rest.

1 comment:

  1. PS-it's not so bad on a chopped up cucumber, a handful of grape tomatoes and some leftover sweet corn. A tablespoon of chimi chimi does a salad good.

    ReplyDelete